EVENTS MANAGER CAREER


H
i everyone  welcome  the career

goals where we help you discover the
right career for you in today's video I
will be talking about a career as an
event manager or event planner and I
will be sharing with you my research on
this career path and also sharing with
you different points or different things
that I think are super helpful for you
before you decide to make this career
the definite one I will be sharing
information with you about description
of the field entry qualifications
lifestyle location different career
paths salaries skills needed job outlook
industry profile and also I will be
talking about some other resources that
you could use to explore a bit further
this career if you need help choosing
the right career for you you're in the
best place so please subscribe to my
channel and hit the bell so you can be
notified every single time that I upload
the video so before we dive in all the
things that I wanted to talk about I
really wanted to mention this book first
this is the careers handbook and I found
it super helpful to help help me somehow
structure or be a guide to this video to
the content that I'm going to be sharing
here in this book you can find 400
career options that you can explore and
you can check out real quick and yeah
they're divided also in sections and so
on of course everything that I'm going
to be sharing in this video is not in
the book because I also took some other
resources like YouTube videos and
courses and so on but I definitely think
it's a really good tool and a really
good resource so let's talk a bit about
the description of the field how is it
so basically the events managers and
event planners are responsible for
running organizing and planning all
these events that you can think about
basically all the big events or even
medium-size event the different types of
events that they could plan are for
example weddings conferences convened
food festivals and any other event that
you can think that needs someone that's
organizing and basically coordinating
that everything runs smoothly the day of
the event in other core responsibilities
of the role could be meet with clients
and understand their needs before coming
up with a band ideas create proposals
for events finding venues choosing and
coordinating vendors negotiating costs
promoting the event and also developing
advertisement ensuring all safety and
health regulations staying on a budget
also making sure that all runs smoothly
on the day of the event they oversee the
removal of the event and the clearance
of the venue and also they have to
research for some opportunities with new
clients to make also new events it is
also fair to say that this career
depends a lot our networking and making
contacts I mean you really have to make
sure that you know the right people and
they know you as well so every time that
they're thinking about making an event
or running something they actually call
you first so maybe it could be even fair
to say that this runs a lot on
reputation and on previous experiences
working with you so if people already
worked with you and they are
recommending you to others this is
really important as well and this is why
knowing different people and knowing a
lot of people is really important in
this job so if we talked a bit about the
entry qualifications for this career
usually lately I would say they're
asking more for a bachelor's degree and
usually they ask for a bachelor's degree
in Hotel or catering management also in
marketing or business but this is like I
said not really a must but lately they
have been going more towards this
because they prefer someone that has a
training or education in some of these
fields or and at least one of them also
another option could be getting a
certificate in event planning and this
is also not a must this is just another
option that you can consider however of
course this is really focused education
and training so it could be really
helpful so apart from the training or
education
you could also start for example as an
assistant you can start in the assistant
position and then work your way up
slowly and learning and only by
experience I would say that in this job
and in this field it's more about you
knowing the industry and knowing how to
be organized and getting some skills
that are needed for working as an Events
Manager so sometimes employers are more
interested in your skills and your
personal qualities than just in your
certificates or bachelor's degree so you
can be an Events Manager or planner but
you can actually be specialized in a
particular field let's say for example
if you're a wedding planner probably
you're going to be only doing weddings
unless you are also trying to change
fields or trying to change industries
but it's pretty different to plan a
wedding and also plan some conferences
for example so you have to have the
experience of doing both if you would
like to be specialized in both but
usually people just go for one of them
so if we want to talk about the
lifestyle of the events managers we have
to also say that they work extra hours
they have to apart from the job that
they do
during the week then in the normal
office hours they also have to attend to
the events and make sure that everything
runs smoothly so probably they have to
go to events that are on late nights or
late evenings that are also on the
weekends or even abroad so you have to
be prepared for those things you just
work extra hours also of course you
could have events there in the morning
like brunch or breakfast or just
whatever event that could be during the
week and in the morning but this is not
the normal thing and also depends a lot
on the on the industry that you're going
let's say for example if you want to go
in the field of wedding then probably
you will have to do it on the weekend
because everyone that returns
the wedding probably cannot just do it
during the week if they work they have
other duties other things to do so you
would be working probably on the
weekends if your wedding planner so
another thing that you should know is
that you are not going to work on one
event probably and that's it you're only
gonna do this all the time no probably
you're going to be working and juggling
different events and the preparation of
an organization of these events and they
are overlapping because they're do more
or less at the same time let's say for
example if you have a wedding on Sunday
and you have another wedding on Saturday
you would have to work on both of them
during many months before so you have to
go to food tastings you have to make
sure the suppliers are ready you have to
make sure everything else is prepared
for those two days and for those events
of course you're going to be working on
them at the same time another really
interesting thing is the location where
do these people work well it's like
anything else it's not really a fixed
thing usually event planners and when
managers they tend to just be around a
lot they're not just fixed on their desk
and just working at their desk all the
time they probably have to meet clients
meet suppliers do some presentations
they have to go around also to meet
other people and to also coordinate
stuff with them so you could expect that
it's not the typical desk job I would
say also you have to take into
consideration the travelling if you are
in an industry or field or a branch of
event management or event planning that
requires for you to travel let's say for
example if you're in weddings I I don't
know
the example of the weddings but if you
if you're preparing weddings then
probably you will have to make sure that
if the wedding is abroad if the wedding
is at the beach and you are in the city
then you have to make sure that
everything in the venue is there is
correct and the day of the event you
have to be there if the suppliers are
mostly around the area then you also
probably have to travel for any tastings
or checks that you would have to to want
to make so it's really important that
you also know that probably it requires
a lot of traveling and yeah I mean it's
not a bad thing it's a good thing and
probably you can also adjust your
schedule to it so it doesn't have to be
a huge problem if you don't like to
travel but like I always say it is
important that you also try to connect
and try to find some professionals that
are already working in this industry and
ask these kinds of questions let's say
for example if you don't like traveling
then it's really good if you would just
ask someone that is already in the
industry and doing the exact same job
that you want to do in five years so how
much do you travel if I don't like
travel do you think this is something
that's going to affect me yeah it's just
trying to find out what it really is
like just don't stay with what I'm
saying don't just say okay Veronica said
this in this video and this is it and
there are many options and there are
many opportunities for you out there so
just try to find out what suits you best
and waterlines best with your interests
with your values and with the kind of
professional that you want to be so the
different career paths that I wanted to
maybe share with you today are these
ones you can be a wedding planner you
can be a conference director you book
speakers that are tracked paying
customers in this case exhibition
planner they help design and produce
exhibition stems then
deliver and install them on-site there
are also concert promoters they set up
concerts and these kind of events and
book the artists and venues they
publicize the event and sell the tickets
to the public and honestly these are
only some options that I'm giving you
here today but like I always say in my
videos it's up to you to do more
research and go talk to the
professionals and just explore a bit
more so please comment below and let me
know what is the part of event planning
that you're really interested about and
what what makes you curious basically
about this career and also remember to
check out the description box below and
the cards up here because I'm going to
be also sharing with you like some bonus
information and bonus resources because
I also found like YouTube channels or
social media courses that I found really
helpful even websites and I'm going to
be sharing them with you so let's talk
about money for a bit I know that
salaries is something that people just
consider a lot in the moment of choosing
the right career for them because let's
be honest everyone wants to at least
make a decent amount of money but the
truth is that I cannot just tell you how
much you're gonna earn and how much
these people earn because it depends so
much on the city the years of experience
the industry the position that they're
working in I mean there are so many ifs
that it's really hard for me to honestly
tell you a number however I've found
some resources that I think are super
helpful and can be some kind of
reference for you so as you guys know I
really like the website from the US
Bureau of Labor Statistics and there you
can actually find the median annual wage
for meeting convention and event
planners and it was forty nine thousand
three hundred seventy in May two
thousand eighteen so in this website you
can actually check out these different
sections and have more information about
these careers in here so what skills
should you have if you were an advanced
manager first you should have good
communication skills to communicate well
with clients and negotiate well with
suppliers you should have also the
ability to coordinate
from teams because sometimes you're
working on different projects or in
different locations it's also really
important to have strong organization
skills to be able to complete all the
small and big tasks for every event
people skills are also really important
to be empathic positive proactive and
energetic and to talk about the job
outlook we have to go again to my
computer show you again the website of
the US Bureau of Labor Statistics so
according to the US Bureau of Labor
Statistics website the projected percent
change in employment from 2018 to 2028
is 7% this means that this is honest in
a really faster than average scale with
an increasing remote working trend also
comes an increasing demand for meetings
and conference that bring everyone
together and although online
communication is very important nowadays
the face-to-face interaction is still a
key factor in human interaction and I
would also like to say that those who
have experience in the hospitality
industry or with virtual meeting
software and social media outlets should
also have a really good advantage and
the profile of the industry usually
includes multiple entry points into this
field it is also really popular
profession experiencing a rapid growth
you have a lot of global opportunities
and a really cool thing is that it has
almost the same amount of females and
males working in the industry and where
can you find more information about this
career well you know that I really like
the website of the US Bureau of Labor
Statistics and for YouTube channels I am
gonna leave them up here in the cards
and also in the description box below
and I was going around to the YouTube
channels of some of these professionals
and also websites and they have
something in common
and some of them are actually training
themselves online so I'm going to also
leave in the description box below some
courses that I found to be helpful for
them so if you want to explore more cool
career options then you can go to my
playlist cool career options in my
channel I also wanted to remind you
about the book if you find that
interesting and you want to actually buy
it I'm going to be leaving
so the link below and also the third
thing that I wanted to ask you is to
remember to follow us on Instagram and
on social media I also have Twitter
there we are sharing constantly more
tips about career exploration and other
careers I'm going to be doing some
research and just reading online and
websites that I really think are helpful
for you yeh see you 

Comments